The first year of college is a crucial one. This year sets the tone for the rest of your college career.
Here’s a few things you might want to make sure are on your to-do list to make your first year the best:
- Go and buy at least one item of school apparel. After the inevitable amount of hours you’ll spend in class, studying, cramming, pulling all nighters, and throwing papers together, apparel is a good way of explaining to strangers why you have such prominent dark circles around your eyes.
- Really learn how to do laundry. The amount of clothing you will ruin if you don’t know your way around the laundry room will astound you. (RIP to my favorite pair of yoga pants , I didn’t know the dryer would shrink you!)
- Fully explore your microwave’s capabilities. The Caf. will get old. I’ve seen miracles and gourmet meals come out of dorm microwaves.
- Find one source of caffeine that you like…but won’t give you a heart attack. You’ll need it.
- Take time to decorate your dorm. Make it something you can collapse into after class. This room is now your sanctuary. Tip: Christmas lights make any room a tumble-esque haven.
- Buy rain boots. Sitting in a 3 hour night class isn’t fun with wet feet. Remember, you’re walking everywhere now; plan accordingly. 😛
- Pull an all nighter with your friends. Do NOTHING school related.
- Pull an all nighter with your friends. Do EVERYTHING school related.
- Attend at least one party/event run by campus organizations. They’re more fun than you think, especially at the start of the year!
- Take as many pictures as you can. They’ll be your favorite for mushy/cheesy/totally necessary photo collages.
- Meet an upperclassmen and make them your new friend. Upperclassmen have this place memorized. They know the in’s and out’s of your school. They’re an indispensable tool.
- Join at least one club/student organization/sport/intramural sport on campus. Getting involved on campus will help you find friends who share the same interests as you.
- Volunteer for no reason. Happiness and selfless acts are very much related. 😀