We all know getting up in the mornings is hard… especially in winter when it is pitch black and freezing out… but it has some benefits.
Now I know there aren’t a lot of morning people out there, especially not in college. But I can think of at least 10 reasons to get up and get moving first thing in the morning:
- A reason to get up. I don’t start class until 11 each day so if I don’t have a reason to get up, I’d probably just sleep until 10:30. Working out in the mornings gives me a reason to get up and get started with my day.
- Wake Up Call. What better way to wake up then waking up your entire body?! Once you get that blood pumping it’s so much easier to not be tempted to go back to bed when you should be studying. On the flip side working out too late at night can actually wake your body up and cause sleep disturbance.
- Avoid Crowds. During the usual rush hours, 9 a.m., 12- 2 p.m., and 5-6 p.m., is when every one is going to the gym. Either before class/work, on a lunch break, or after class/work. While Benedictine has a lot of nice equipment, with that many people there at once you’re bound to get stuck standing around waiting for a machine and wasting your time. I go at 7:30 a.m. and there are literally 2 people there.
- Done for the Day. Going at 7:30, I’ll usually lift for half an hour and then half an hour of cardio. So by 8:30 in the morning I am done for the day with my workout. This is a huge one because as we all know life is unpredictable. The later in your day you plan your workout, the more potential interrupters you have to get in the way of your workout. Whether it’s plans with friends, school work, or you just get tired and lazy and don’t feel like doing it anymore. That doesn’t mean you can’t add on more later, but that’s all just bonus!
- Keep it tight. Another benefit of working out in the morning is you wake all of those muscles up ensuring they’ll be engaged all day long burning you more calories! I feel this the most in my abs. After doing an ab workout in the morning I have found I am more aware of my abs throughout the day and am keeping them engaged and activated.
- Extra Calorie Burn. Did I mention that keeping everything tight helps to burn more calories throughout the day? Activating those muscles early in the day ensures your body will be working overtime all day to repair those small muscle tears and build new muscle. Muscle burns more than fat!
- Hydrate. I think it’s safe to say we could all stand to hydrate a little better but if you’re anything like me when it’s cold out drinking cold water is one of the last things on my mind. When I workout in the morning and work up a good sweat though, I tend to be more conscious of how much water I’m getting in and making sure to replenish all the fluid I lost during my workout.
- Healthy Eating. After working out I have found it’s easier to make healthy eating choices so why not use that all day! While this isn’t always the case, most of the time after working out I crave juicy fruit and other good choices like low fat chocolate milk.
- ….And even if you don’t eat healthy. So you have a burger or pizza, or maybe some other unhealthy fair, you can do it without too much guilt since you’ve already worked your butt off first thing in the morning!
- Endorphins. I’m sure everyone has heard of these little magical stress reducers. Working out releases endorphins which naturally reduce stress and put you in a great mood! So why wouldn’t you want to start your day off in a great mood?!
So why not set the alarm tomorrow morning and give it a shot? What do you have to lose except pounds?!!