There are many stereotypes that come to mind when one says “I’m a runner.” People who don’t run automatically assume you’re crazy, you eat like a bird, or you’re overly conscious of your health. Athletes of other sports assume it’s boring, tedious, and not competitive enough. If you run competitively, you know running is the ultimate test of your mental strength and will power. With each mile or meter, your mind tries to convince you that you can’t go any further and your job is to prove that you can. This is why I run competitively, not because I’m insanely fast or naturally good at running. Just running a mile around your neighborhood can do more than you ever thought. Here are some reasons why you should start running if you don’t already.
1) Overall Mental Health! When you run, it releases chemicals in the body that naturally make you happier :). Plus, there’s the fact that after your run you will be so proud of yourself that your self-esteem will raise substantially. If your dealing with tons of stress form work or school, going on a run clears your mind and puts things into perspective. It can be your daily therapy.
2) Get in Touch With Nature! Running is a great way to appreciate a beautiful day. There are tons of beautiful forest preserves in Illinois with great running trails and bike paths. The Naperville area is surrounded with great paths to run, just do a little Googling. Running is great in all seasons, even winter. Running in the rain can be one of the most fun, refreshing exercises there is. It’s a way to get off your electronic devices and focus on the simpler, more beautiful things in life.
3) Meet Awesome People! Most people are correct when they say runners are nuts. We are. But in the best possible way :). The people and teams I have run with are some of the most hilarious, nicest, non-judgmental people I have ever met. If you run with someone, you automatically have a special bond with them. Your sharing sweat, blood, and tears. Struggling through a run is so much easier when you know someone is there going through the same exact thing.
4) Get Healthier! I’ll be the first to admit that it’s really difficult to start running. The hardest part is putting on your shoes and stepping out the door. The running part really isn’t so bad. Once you start running you’ll see results quickly. Your legs will be toner, you’ll be less tired walking up those stairs, and you’ll naturally feel better knowing you’ve run that day. Running has also been known to strengthen your immune system. The biggest benefit is that you can eat more without feeling as guilty :).
5) Greater Self-esteem! Once you start setting goals for yourself for running and accomplishing those goals, you’ll gain confidence in yourself. This confidence can translate to other things in your life. I often find myself saying things like “If you just ran in -20 degree windchills, you can do this Orgo exam.” Running makes you tougher mentally and physically, so you’ll have few reasons not to feel awesome.
Maybe running is definitely not for you and maybe running could become your favorite thing in the world, but you never know until you try :).
Benedictine University is knows for its liberal arts education, its strong science field, but also the great amount of students being involved on campus. All students that attend BenU, are involved in some club of their interest. This semester there’s a new club to add to the list. The Car Club is a new club on campus that many students are excited about it. The motive of the car club is the ability to get student involved in the club and learning about different part of a car, different cars that are available, how to change oil or tire. This club will hold different fundraisers to raise money for children in hunger. The club’s executive board is made up of different male students that are very excited to teach other about different cars and different ways that they can keep their car safe. Their first event that the club is going to hold will be a car wash for students and other drivers. All the money raised on the event will go to different charities to help them. This new exciting club is for everyone to join! Girls, this is a great opportunity to learn more about your car and the different parts of it. Also its a great way to learn different techniques that could help when tires are low or need to be changed. The events that will help everyone on everyday life and the different problems that may occur in your car. Driving a car is something that we all do to get to places.
Since January is almost over, spring semester is started, we are all getting adjusted to our new classes and professors. Besides thinking about school, or work, we all have to think about February coming up; Valentines Day! Many students have a very busy life, working, going to school..etc.. and they think about Valentines day being far away and leaving some things last minute. Valentines Day is a great day that you can show your loved one how special they are to you, hint: you should show how special they are to you everyday, but since Valentines day is a holiday (February 14), then you should show her/him the great love that you have for them. Many people say that Valentines Day is for the ladies, and the day to make them feel special, but I have to disagree with that. Valentines day, I believe is for females and males. Like males have the responsibility to make the woman feel special, girls, we got to make our man feel special not only on Valentines Day but every day. Since guys have the hardest time to find ideas for their girl here is a list of some exciting things that would make a girls feel special:
- Plan a romantic event with your girlfriend
- Propose to her (?)
- Buy her flowers
- Guys, you can never go wrong with buying her favorite chocolate
- Take her to a special dinner
- Buy her a necklace with both initial engraved
- Take her to a Valentines party with friends
- Go sky diving
- Buy her a card, but writing your own thoughts for her is more romantic
- Kiss her as soon as you see her
- Plan a get away weekend for both
- Decorate her dorm
- A teddy bear “I love you”
- Take her to a concert
Since girls do not have an easy time also to come up with ideas for their boyfriends, here are some ideas for a girl to make their boyfriend feel special during Valentines Day:
- Make a collage of all pictures of you two together during special times
- Cook for him
- Personalize a gift for him
- Buy him a jersey of his favorite sport
- Get him an “I love you” bear
- Plan a romantic night
- A nice cologne
- Make a CD of his favorite songs
- Get a nice watch
Hopefully these ideas can save some times for all couples out there. Remember: Valentines day should not be the only day to show affection toward each other. Everyday being together should be special, but since Valentines day is holiday and some people celebrate it, then different exotic ideas and event for each other should make each other feel special.
As a track athlete (just like a cross country athlete…or any other athlete), it is so, so important to manage your time. Since track is the season I am in right now, that’s what I will be referencing to as I share with you what being a part of athletics will entail. Firstly, you will have practice Mon.-Fri. As a distance runner, we tend to have practice at 6:00 a.m. nearly everyday. The coach and distance runners discuss everyone’s’ schedule and decide when is a time that works out for practice. Workouts are usually 1 to 2 times a week. On workout days, practice is at 6:00 a.m. for everyone-sprinters, throwers, long-jumpers, etc. Therefore, getting to bed early enough so you can wake up to your alarm/not feel exhausted is very important! Not procrastinating is one way to make sure that happens.
As you can see, managing your time throughout the week is necessary, but the weekends are especially important for time-management due to meets. If you are a track athlete in high school or even middle school, then you know that meets are an all-day event. This means, you really need to take advantage of your free time the days before meets and the Sunday after a meet (meets are usually on Sat. but can fall on a Fri.). I do not recommend holding off all your assignments for Sunday as this can be very overwhelming from experience. If you are the type of person who can block out distractions and work in any atmosphere, then I highly suggest bringing some of your work with you since there will be a good amount of down time when riding the bus. All and all, the point I am trying to get across is being an athlete is a big commitment that requires you to know how to prioritize. But trust me, being an athlete is such a great experience in so many ways, so it’s well worth it!
As the semester begins, many students are very busy trying to balance their school schedule with their work schedule and then their own personal life. Many of us do not have time to go to the gym and work out to stay active. There are ways that you can stay healthy without hitting the gym.
- Eat healthy. Greens and fruit will give you more energy then all the junk food that taste good.
- When you have 10 minutes free, take a walk around the campus or your house; this will speed up your heart rate and make you feel more energetic.
- Challenge yourself; during school breaks take advantage of the free time with different challenges.
- One of those challenges:
- Plan out your day with a friend to be active
- Most importantly, working out doesn’t have to be painful, it has to be fun! Therefore a work out can be as simple as putting a CD with your favorite music to play in your room and just dancing to all your songs
- Check out YouTube for their different videos on Yoga
- Stay focus on your goal
- Take pictures of your transformation through the days
- Reward yourself one day of the weekend. Plan Saturdays or Sundays to be the day that you will eat healthy throughout the day, but instead of having a healthy desert, have a small muffin instead.