Once you’ve established who your friends are in college, it’s natural to want to have as many classes as possible with them. This can be a fantastic idea or a slight trainwreck. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of having class in college with your friends.
- Knowing assginments. It’s so much easier to keep track of what’s due in class when you and your friends can remind one another of assignments because you’re with each other all of the time anyways.
- Study Party!!! You can have a lot more of these in a class with your friends becuase it is easier to get together with people you know. I also tend to be more comfortable asking questions about things I don’t understand if I’m with my friends.
- Group Projects. Since you have a natural chemistry with your friends, the flow of ideas is going to be better with people you know and its easier to meet up with them since you already have a lot of contact with them.
- Paying Attention in Class. Usually when your sitting next to a friend in class, topics other than the contents of the course tend to come up. Try not to have class with friends who you know you can’t stop talking with. If you know your an easily distracted person, keep that in mind before you sign up in a class with your friend.
- Competition. Friends are naturally competitive with each other and this is heightened by being in the same classes with them. Trying to get a better grade than your friend can be beneficial to you, but it could distract you from what your really trying accomplish in the class. Also, it can be discouraging when you see that your friend got a higher grade than you.
- Too Much Time Together. Friends are supposed to be there to distract you from the craziness of school and other work, but when you have classes with them, they become part of that craziness. When your spending so much time with them, they might see sides of you that you don’t want them to see.
Having classes with friends can be a great idea if you choose who you have classes with wisely. In some cases, it might be best to remind youself that “distance makes the heart grow fonder” before you choose to have all your classes with friends :). I hope this helps you decide!